Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Hats of Vaugh Road

Montgomery, AL isn't a large city by any stretch of the imagination. However, it is large enough to find it odd that there is a stretch of land along one of it's busiest streets that's 'uncitified.' A few acres on the side of Vaughn Rd between an apartment complex and a shopping center that remained untouched during the city's eastern migration. In fact, on any given day you can see cattle grazing in the field.
But, that's not all you'll see. Fence post after fence post you'll see a collection of ball caps the Mad Hatter would be proud of. These hats have mystified me for years. I turned to Facebook recently looking for the answer to my question, "What's up with all those hats?"
I was linked to this article on WSFA's website but even they couldn't find the answer. Seems to be an anomaly. Someone nailed the first hat and the collection spontaneously grew seemingly overnight.

As a personal project, I have photographed each hat. All 112 of them.



Here are some of my favorites.





As I was shooting these, just feet away from passing cars, I felt as if I was becoming part of the mystery. I know if I had driven by I would want to know why that girl was taking pictures. That's when the project became more than just documentation and I'm asking you to help me with the next step... Did you nail one of these hats to the fence? Do you know someone that has? If so, please email me. I'd love to tell your story.

2 comments:

  1. This is so awesome. I can't wait to see who might respond with their story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is sad is that I grew up in montgomery and barely noticed them! I knew there were a few but no idea there were 112 of them. Goes to show how comfortable we get in our surroundings and become totally unobservant!

    ReplyDelete